Range Rover Evoque Vs Porsche Cajun

Porsche’s new Cajun SUV gets ready for head-to-head battle with Range Rover Evoque.

Auto Express Car Reviews

By Tom Phillips

16th March 2011

With the news that Porsche has now confirmed that its new Cajun junior SUV will be built at its plant in Leipzig, we’ve lined up the German newcomer alongside its biggest rival, the new British-built Range Rover Evoque.
    Range Rover Evoque
    The Evoque hits showrooms this year, and is offered with a choice of two or four doors and two- or four-wheel drive. Like the Cajun, it represents the entry point for Land Rover’s luxury arm.
    Those looks are revolutionary, too. Design boss Gerry McGovern describes its bulging arches and squat profile as “a modern and relevant execution of the familiar Range Rover design language”.
    It’s the marque’s cleanest car ever. In front-wheel-drive, 150bhp 2.2-litre ed4 diesel guise, the Evoque should return 60mpg and emit 135g/km of CO2. Other engine options include a more powerful 187bhp diesel and a new 240bhp 2.0-litre petrol turbo – both 4WD only.
    Prices are expected to start at around £30,000 for basic Pure models. However, buyers will be encouraged to select from a host of paint, trim and equipment options which should see the average price of an Evoque nudging £40k.
    Pros

• Stunning looks
    • Cleanest Range Rover yet
    • Luxury cabin

Cons

• Getting carried away with the options
    • Waiting lists – it’s bound to be popular
    • Not one for the purists

Read our first ride along in the Range Rover Evoque.
    Porsche Cajun
    if you’re looking for something even more exclusive, Porsche has just the thing. The German firm is planning a baby brother to the Cayenne, and it will debut in concept form towards the end of the year before arriving in showrooms in late 2012.
    Based on the Audi Q5, the Cajun will start at £40,000, but a range of options should ensure most variants cost nearer £50,000.
    For the money, buyers will be rewarded with a driver-focused SUV designed with road driving in mind. In top 328bhp 3.0 TFSI V6 spec, the Cajun will cover 0-62mph in less than six seconds.
    Like the Range Rover, the Porsche also gets adaptive dampers for top quality ride and handling. The Cajun will be four-wheel drive only and will come with the choice of either a six-speed manual gearbox or seven-speed PDK.
    Pros

• Likely to be great to drive
    • Bespoke cabin
    • Porsche badge

Cons

• Not due until 2013
    • It’s an Audi Q5 underneath
    • Bound to be pricey

How is getting carried away with options a bad thing? So would you prefer if you had NO OPTIONS? lol

I think its worse that the Porsche Cajun is basically a glorified Q5. My vote goes to the Evoque and I'm not being bias.

Another thing to note. They state the Evoque isnt for the purist. Not sure what that means.. Its pretty capable for the price and size and compared to the competitor.. So don't know who these purists are. I dont think true offroaders will but the Evoque to go rock climbing. They will stick to their huge off roaders and buy an Evoque to drive in the city because its prob the most capable compact SUV in the market. I'm sure the Porsche Cajun wont even make it onto grass.

4. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForum.com
    Advertisements

The wait it what's going to kill sales a bit for Range Rover, but hopefully future Range Rover Evoque owners do their research and notice you just can't find another SUV like this on the market yet. I believe the Evoque is well worth the wait, just hope others realize this too.

But if something sells out so quick that alone should speak for the product.

The Cajun will be a longer wait but I'd like to see what Porsche has to offer to battle the Evoque. The Evoque is hard to beat in terms of feature options and pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by cfrp, post: 1494
    The Cajun will be a longer wait but I'd like to see what Porsche has to offer to battle the Evoque. The Evoque is hard to beat in terms of feature options and pricing.
    to my understanding the Cajun is what Porsche is using to compete against the Evoque. Porsche defiantly doesn't have the technology Range Rover has for such things like off-road capabilities with 5 different modes and all but it's all in the same class.

I will like to see how these 2 preform in general performance tests and nothing within each others specialty

The Porsche will most likely come with a more powerful engine. Luxury on the Porsche won't be anything short. In terms of handling performance. That is up to Porsche. Balance of comfort and performance. Pricing on the Porsche is going to be more. I know that for sure!

I think the Cajun will be too pricey for what it is. It will offer the Porsche brand but in terms of features I dont know if its worth it over the Evoque. Even the styling on the Evoque seems much more attractive then the Cajun. So the only thing the Cajun might have for itself is the brand and the more powerful motor.