Range Rover Evoque Dakar Rally Car Discussion Thread - Spec's, Info, Pictures, Speculation & More!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Range Rover Evoque Dakar Rally Car Discussion Thread - Spec's, Info, Pictures, Speculation & More!

I know a lot of people are interested in the Evoque Dakar Rally Car and figured I would create one big thread with everything you need to know. We already have a couple threads about the Evoque rally car but they have very little info (links below). So if you have any information to share, post it here!

Things we can discuss are:

- The BMW 3.0-Liter Diesel Engine
    - Specifications
    - Wheels/Tires
    - Transmission
    - Suspension
    - Chassis
    - Build team
    - Performance
    - Speculation
    - Final Exterior Design
    - Interior
    - Sponsors
    - Cost of build
    - The possibility of a special edition Evoque inspired by the Evoque rally car
    - Anything else you want to discuss!!

British Team To Race Range Rover Evoque With Bmw Straight-six At The 2012 Dakar Rally
    http://www.rrevoqueforum.com/threads...kar-rally.490/

Range Rover Evoque Rally Car Pictures
    http://www.rrevoqueforum.com/threads...-pictures.491/

I think RaBe race cars is using the BMW diesel over the Evoques regular diesel for simple cost saving and time saving reasons. The Evoques motor is pretty new and tuning it to produce as much as that BMW diesel would take time and money. It was probably just too complicated. Plus there are limitations to how much torque a 4 cylinder can produce.

Usually torque is higher on diesel cars like jetta's or TDI's produce high torque numbers and usually a lower HP number, i guess the straight 6 would have the extra torque needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForum.com
    Advertisements

It's official the Range Rover Evoque Dakar Rally car will have [SIZE=14px]275bhp and 480lb ft tq all from that 3.0-liter BMW engine.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]I really want to know whats being done to that BMW engine to get those horsepower and torque numbers, especially the torque. BHP probably means they have a turbo, i guess??[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Evoque, post: 1420
    It's official the Range Rover Evoque Dakar Rally car will have [SIZE=14px]275bhp and 480lb ft tq all from that 3.0-liter BMW engine.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]I really want to know whats being done to that BMW engine to get those horsepower and torque numbers, especially the torque. BHP probably means they have a turbo, i guess??[/SIZE]
    you're mistaking BHP with boost, BHP stands for Brake Horsepower, not Boost horsepower as you're probably thinking.

Here's what wikipedia defines BHP as:

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower before the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc. Brake refers to a device which was used to load an engine and hold it at a desired RPM. During testing, the output torque and rotational speed were measured to determine the brake horsepower. Horsepower was originally measured and calculated by use of the indicator (a James Watt invention of the late 18th century), and later by means of a De Prony brake connected to the engine's output shaft. More recently, an engine dynamometer is used instead of a De Prony brake. Although the output delivered to the driving wheels is less than that obtainable at the engine's crankshaft, a dynamometer gives an indication of an engine's 'real world' horsepower after losses in the drive train and gearbox. This gives an accurate indication of how a car engine will perform when used normally rather than ideal non-loaded circumstances.

Not sure how I feel about this. Can we still call it an Evoque? I mean it has a BMW power plant which does big for it's performance. Why couldn't they just tune the stock Evoque engine? Tuning the factory Evoque engine would be inspiring for people looking to go that route with the Evoque.

All this shows is that you can build a crazy Evoque without being original!

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Rover, post: 1431
    Not sure how I feel about this. Can we still call it an Evoque? I mean it has a BMW power plant which does big for it's performance. Why couldn't they just tune the stock Evoque engine? Tuning the factory Evoque engine would be inspiring for people looking to go that route with the Evoque.

All this shows is that you can build a crazy Evoque without being original!
    I believe the build team was crunched on time and it does take a lot of time, money and development to take a engine that wasn't built for performance to perform well in a racing series and be reliable. Not saying it can't be done, but if they were given more time, I bet they would've stayed with the factory engine.

Not sure what the build team is keeping on the Evoque for the Dakar rally but I still see this as an Evoque even with a BMW engine.

Wonder why they chose the Evoque. Might be because its light.

came across post on top gear's website about the Evoque Dakar racer that had a new picture, or at least new to this forum.

Range Rover Evoque Dakar Rally Car pictures

I wonder how far off the real life design is from the recent rendering's we've seen

Here's a look at the Range Rover Evoque Dakar Rally race course

[SIZE=10px]The races goes through .....Mar Del Plata, Argentina to Copiapo, Chile and end at Lima, Peru.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10px][/SIZE]