View Full Version : How Age Affects Distracted Driving

Evoque
05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
The below taken from edmunds ('http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/08/mit-studies-how-age-affects-distracted-driving/') explains how age affects distracted driving. Young and old people do get distracted behind the wheel of a car but what distracts both young and old people are totally different as you will find out.

Do you get distracted while driving? If do you, what distracts you?

My distractions are the in-car devices I use such as my smartphone, with the ability to do almost everything on the smartphone it's hard to not use it during my commute.

Auto Observer recently sat down with researchers at the MIT AgeLab to learn more about a new study about distracted driving and how it changes as we age. By placing drivers of various ages into a simulator, researchers can collect data related to distraction. After studying conditions such as heart rate and eye movement, it becomes clear that different age groups are distracted by different stimuli. For example, young people have a harder time tuning out in-car distractions like text messages and cell phones, while older drivers are more impacted by sirens and flashing lights outside of the vehicle.

Researcher Bryan Reimer said that in most cases, reducing distracted driving isn't so much a matter of leveraging technology to make current car features easier to use; instead, it's more about properly educating drivers about said features before they hit the road .

AgeLab also investigated a number of other driving-related technologies, including automated parallel parking systems like the one found on the 2010 Lincoln MKS to discern how drivers of various ages would adapt to theem. Hit the jump to see a video on the research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOltRUj6uME

Randy.Rover
05-18-2011, 01:16 PM
As usually you become older you tend to focus more, and realize their are less "interesting" things and less things that distract you. But when your young everything interest you and you tend to wonder a lot more.. well thats what i ve noticed as well.