View Full Version : Land Rover dealers want more Evoques

cfrp
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
LAS VEGAS -- It has been years since Land Rover North America had a hot, pricey product in short supply.

That's why dealers are pleading for more of the new compact Evoque three- and five-door SUV, which has an entry price with transportation of $43,995 for the five-door model and $44,995 for the three-door.

Worldwide demand for the Evoque is high, and some U.S. dealers don't know when they'll get more. The Evoque was launched last fall.

John Symes, president of Symes Automotive Group, said he has a two-month order backlog. Symes runs a medium-sized Land Rover dealership that sells about 500 vehicles a year. Symes said smaller dealers who get a lower allocation of Evoques probably are feeling the pinch even more.

And there's the Long Island Automotive Group, which owns three Land Rover stores and sells about 2,000 vehicles a year. Michael Levitan, group vice president, says he has Evoques but won't say how many. The store's Web site doesn't list inventory, but tells buyers to call.

Levitan is sensitive about his stock because some Land Rover dealers are bellyaching that the bigger dealers -- especially those on the East Coast, close to Land Rover headquarters in New Jersey -- are getting more vehicles than those further west.

There have been public cries of "not fair." Land Rover management thought the issue was hot enough that it tried to quiet dealer worries about East Coast dealers getting more than their fair share in Las Vegas at the dealer meeting this weekend at the National Automobile Dealers convention.

Levitan was particularly rattled. During the U.S. economic meltdown in 2008-09, Land Rover was stuck with excess vehicles, more than a 100-day supply some months. It asked dealers to take additional vehicles, he said.

"Big dealers raised their hands and overstocked themselves during that period and are now reaping their rewards a long as their sales continue at that pace," Levitan said.

That's probably not going to totally placate the smaller guys.

It has been a while since the Evoque has been released and my local dealer still does not have them in stock regularly. Quite disappointing.

lsberrios1
02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
dissapointing indeed. I bought mine before it got to the showroom but it wasnt an order, it was just supposed to be a showroom model. They told me it was the premium package with the xenon headlights and much of the stuff i really wanted. It came in two weeks later and apparently they confused it and it turned out to be a hallogen premium. I wasnt to happy about it but they told me that if I wanted to wait for a pure premium it would have to wait another 4 to 7 months. So I decided to sacrifice the lights for the privilege of enjoying one now. I am still happy with the car but to be honest there are sometimes that good xenon adaptive lights are needed. Back to the point that it is kinda ridiculous waiting 4 to 7 months for a car that has been in the market for quite some time.

import_nation
02-07-2012, 06:31 AM
4 to 7 months....

so you ended up opting for the halogen model? Don't mean to disappoint but I would have much preferred the xenon model. I'd ask how much the xenon headlights are alone. Just swap the headlights.

lsberrios1
02-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I know there was an 800 dollar difference in price which doesnt seem like that would be the case if you were to buy them by themselves. I asked how much if I wanted to put on the 20 inch optional wheels and they said that if they are not factory installed they are almost twice as expensive so I expect at least twice of what the xenon lights are factory. I do miss not having the angel eyes but still having fun.

import_nation
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I know there was an 800 dollar difference in price which doesnt seem like that would be the case if you were to buy them by themselves. I asked how much if I wanted to put on the 20 inch optional wheels and they said that if they are not factory installed they are almost twice as expensive so I expect at least twice of what the xenon lights are factory. I do miss not having the angel eyes but still having fun.

Do you plan to get those xenon headlights in the future?

lsberrios1
02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Depending on price but probably not. I saw a dynamic coupe today with the xenons and it looked so much nicer it made me think twice about waiting for them. But still happy with the car its been a lot of fun.

Starflyr
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Can't get blood out of a turnip and RR can't increase production fast enough for the apparent demand. My dealer was flooded with other RR models, but only have one Evoque (Pure) that I grabbed as soon as I saw it on the lot. Best SUV I've ever owned. While I do have a VW Eos convertible, I'm thinking of selling it in the spring and making my Evoque my daily and only driver.