Range Rover Evoque First Drive Review

Range Rover Evoque First Drive Review

Sometimes, a car just seems right. You climb in and it has all and makes all the right noises. The dash feels like you've seen it before. It has all the features all others were missing. This is how I imagined the perfect car... Well, at least until I drove an Evoque.

These last few years, most cars have begun respecting the same lines, same shapes, same exact designs. You can't tell one brand from the other and driving something that's unique and interesting has become a frustratingly difficult task to achieve.

I've watched, just like millions of other people, the rise to fame of the new Range Rover, from sketches, to prototype to the first model to come out of the assembly line. It dawned on me that the British designers threw away the rules and just went with their gut instinct here. Aggressive lines, small, robust body and a breath taking interior - everyone's seen the pictures.

I finally got my hands on one for a test drive, and on my way towards Premium Auto, the Bucharest dealership, I had mixed feelings. I've been so excited about the design and publicity that I was almost fearful that the myth would be ruined if it didn't drive well, or was uncomfortable, or some other reason.

Rolling into the parking lot, I found a free spot next to three shiny new Evoques, and parked my muddy Defender station wagon. There is more than a decade of design and innovation between what I drove in through the gate and what I was going to leave with. After a little chat with the guys, I was given the keys and shown the black 5-door model that I was going to test out. I am a big fan of manual gearboxes so I made a point out of having it so. A few months back, they were kind enough to give me a Discovery 4, with an automatic gearbox and while it was a mind blowing experience, I still feel quite enchanted by the physicality of changing your own gears.

I pushed the "start" button and the silent Td4 engine began silently vibrating. The chair adjusted positions after I closed the door and everything lit up with information. Right away, I knew that this wasn't an off road vehicle by no means. The stance, feel and prompt acceleration gives it the feel of an urban fighter, as advertised.

As I started driving back to the city, I noticed how fast it was. In third gear, I often found myself going over the speed limit and decided to set an alarm for it. To my surprise, the dashboard menu was surprisingly easy to navigate - I've had some conflicts in the past with this and I must say it's a feature that annoys me intensely.

Although it features all of the options on a Disco, such as descent control and terrain response system, I fear they won't be intensely used. However, while driving on the road, the feel and energy of the small Range Rover is undeniable. It took me a while to get used to it, but then the gear changes and overpasses became a very entertaining activity.

The music system and leather interior made for a very comfortable ride, and if driven relaxed, the 6% fuel average is an amazing feature. Of course that didn't happen all the time. We took it out on the road and drove it like one should, when test driving a new toy. When driving in a sporty manner, shifting around 3500 - 4000 rpm, the fuel rate went up to 10%. By my accounts, this is less than my Defender does at the best of times, so it's hardly a minus. Like in the case of the Disco, the efficiency comes from the use of two turbo units: one standard unit and one with variable geometry which is engaged depending on the way you drive, - which can kick in right down at 700 rpm.

I had time to make friends with it, but not nearly enough time to get bored of it. And neither did others in traffic, because everyone stared at it. It literally felt like I was doing society a favor, by driving it around for people to see and appreciate it. That was an epic feeling - one I've not really felt in most other cars I've driven.

Time passed and I had to return the gorgeous SUV to the Premium Dealership. I parked it next to my muddy Defender, stopped and took a good long look at the pair. I realized I will always love the Defender because there’s no other car quite like it. It has the feel of the gentle giant. But, so help me God, if I ever give up off roading, the first thing I’ll buy is a brand new Evoque. Maybe the exact one I drove this time …

http://www.4x4offroads.com/range-rover-evoque.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    EvoqueForum.com
    Advertisements

Decent review. Better then the ones that just list the specs. Wrong section though. Belongs in the reviews section.

First black one I've seen to be reviewed. Definitely not a glamorous color

i agree with the post above, the tone of black they used for this does not appeal to me. however the white and dark metallic grey looks really classy. good review and shots of the car, i just wish that they made the screen a bit bigger!