Last weekend I drove some friends up to Breakneck Ridge for a hike.

We had a grand old time, and not just because everyone escaped with limbs intact.

Part of the fun came because our ride–a lime-green Range Rover Evoque coupe–jumped so nimbly from West Villiage cobblestones to the two-lane curves of the Hudson Highlands. It will fit four people perfectly (shorter people in back advised) with plenty of room for a cooler and bags in the trunk. And so flippantly flirts between small SUV and sport-coupe status (think BMW X6 but smaller) that it won Truck of the Year this year in Detroit. A four-door version is available.

I loved driving the car. But I quickly found out that some people don’t take kindly to its wonderful frivolity. Several (a few Forbes editors have voiced their opinions) hate how it looks. Others (Facebook friends and foes) say it’s simply a glorified and extremely overpriced Subaru Forester. There is a passing resemblance.

I started to write this column as a defense—asserting that the Evoque is much more than just an expensive Subaru. But halfway through I realized that most of the reasons I posed as proof of the Evoque’s supremacy also supported claims of its superficiality (luxury trimmings, special badging, custom wheels and paint). So I’ve decided to embrace my shallowness: Sure the Evoque is expensive and has a striking (read: polarizing) profile–but that’s exactly how it’s meant to be. I’m okay with that.

Don’t get me wrong. Subaru makes outstanding vehicles renowned for their plucky torque, long-term resilience, and mule-like stubbornness under even the toughest road conditions. But the Forester simply can’t match the personality, highway performance or caché of the Evoque, which is why for those who can afford it, it’s worth the price premium it commands.

Quite a price, too. The base version of the 2012 Evoque costs $44,145, and I’m willing to bet few people who buy it will be satisfied with the bare essentials. The version I drove included a $7,900 premium package (special wheels, spoilers, stitching, pedal finishers and the like) and other upgrades that pushed the cost to $60,000.

The base version of the Forester costs less than half that and offers much of the same utility. Things like standard AWD, enormous cargo storage and extensive traction controls.

But allow me to quickly list some of the finer things in life that the Evoque provides: 19-inch sparkle-finish aluminium alloy wheels; a massive sunroof that spreads the entire width and length of the top; and an interior cased in oxford- and other leather. Plus, on an upgraded status, contrast stitching, sterling badges, sport exhaust tips and a custom paint job.

Let’s also talk about performance. The Evoque comes with normal, sport and manual shift modes. It has a 6-speed transmission with hill-descent control and hill-start assist. Did I mention the 240-horsepower engine? The Subaru comes with 170- or 224-hp systems.

Then there’s the bevy of tech gadgets and instruments that the minimalist Forester doesn’t offer: Rain-sensing hood wipers. Automatic Xenon headlights with tiny wipers on the front. Blind-spot monitoring. Seventeen speakers to broadcast the Meridian surround sound system. (The most you can get on the Forester, even with a premium package, is seven.) A brilliant little thing called a Surround Camera System, which does exactly what it says. Et cetera.

Last and least is the matter of heritage. Marketing speak? Yes. But also a legitimate concern when it comes to collectability, resale value and respect among those who know. Land Rover is a 108-year-old British jeep company. Subaru’s no slouch when it comes to serious history, too (think Japanese war-plane engineering). But ask most consumers in America–and every self-respecting Briton–and they’ll pick the Land Rover on spec every time.

In short: No one buys the Evoque because it’s a bargain. Far from it. You buy it because it looks good (ask designers at Rover competitors) and it’s fun to drive.

Come to think of it, more cars these days would do well to do the same.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahel...nd-thats-okay/